Amazon Ad

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What's the Point?


In Digital Lifestyle magazine I found this needless gadget that saves you the trouble of making grocery lists. Instead of writing down a list, you talk to it and it listens to what you need. Then it organizes the list into sections so you don't have to criss-cross the store.

Reasons I Hate It:

  1. You have to talk to it. I hate talking to inanimate objects. I would never use the voice-recognition feature of a cell-phone. I would also not have a cell phone without a real phone that would let me walk down the street without holding a phone. I don't want to talk to inanimate things and I don't want to seem like I'm talking to no one.
  2. It's hard to see what you already have on the list. I suppose you could remember or scroll back through it, but that's a hassle. One of the virtues of making a list is you can see what's already on it. Sometimes the best way to organize information is on a piece of paper.
  3. I can sort myself. Anyone who frequents a grocery store can sort a list himself. I choose not to sort because I like running back and forth across the store to prolong the pleasure of Chopin, but I certainly could sort. My father does.
  4. I'd look like a weirdo. I can't even imagine walking around my usual haunts carrying a piece of electronic equipment telling me what to buy. How could I show my face to the Italian grandmas ever again?


This toy is definitely not for the coupon-clipping set.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:11 PM EST

    italian grandmas certainly don't appreciate tomfoolery with such high-falutin' gadgetry. they just like the sales on low-sodium saltine crackers. a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:38 PM EST

    Your sister also organizes her lists but the middle is always in the wrong spots.

    ReplyDelete