Amazon Ad

Friday, February 03, 2006

Despana - Soho

Yesterday during my lunch hour, I trotted over to Despana, the Spanish grocery store I read about at the Food Section. As I approached the store, I thought "Oh no, this store is small and people inside will eye me at the least and greet me at the worst." And they did. Despite the door being only about 15 feet wide, half of which is taken up by a counter where you can order sandwiches or cheese, they had a greeter. At least he didn't sneak up on me like the guys at Mexx do. He said "If you need help figuring anything out, I can help you," or something equally awkward. There were about a dozen olive oils and vinegars you could try with little hunks of bread, though I did not partake, since I was already being eyed.

Two products caught my eye. There was instant lemon mousse for $2. That had 6 servings. And there was instant paella for $6. That had 3/4 of a serving. I think. That seems ridiculous--to include less than a full serving in the package. On the other hand, how could I make something like that up? Conspicuous in its absence was Spanish Fanta, which is much better than American Fanta and second only to Italian Fanta in quality. If I could get my Fanta fix there, I would be quite happy.

Despana - 408 Broome St. New York, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment