Amazon Ad

Friday, February 24, 2006

Oyster Sauce


I saw a google ad for Oyster Sauce on the right and I realized that I've never had it, even though I am a condiment afficianado. I didn't even know if it was made from oysters or for oysters. So I looked it up on Wikipedia. And do you know what I learned? A tablespoon of it makes plain Chinese noodles less ordinary.

What happens if you eat oysters with oyster sauce? Is that like eating a tomato with ketchup? Is that like eating your egg/oil soup with a dollop of mayo? Is that like putting ice cream in your milk and mixing it up and having a milk shake?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:16 PM EST

    alas, chopin, i have unfortunate news. oyster sauce is not a dip-able condiment. it's more of a seasoning and you have to cook it. i once had a bit on my finger and tasted it, and it was quite and experience, let me tell you. oyster sauce is very...well...oyster-y. i have a bottle of it in my refrigerator that i'm happy to let you use if you feel inclined.

    p.s. the brand you have pictured looks ghetto. i have the brand my parents have always used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything's a dippable sauce save granular condiments like salt, pepper, and msg!

    I just used the picture from the wikipedia entry. I feel bad about all the pictures I steal from the internet but I think wikipedia likes when you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:43 PM EST

    but you can't eat it raw! it'll give you a stomach ache. plus, it's disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what they say about garlic but Debussy downs raw garlic like it's going out of style.

    Maybe I will work my way up to Oyster Sauce by sipping on clam juice for a while first.

    ReplyDelete