Amazon Ad

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Price Chopper in Troy, NY, vs. Giant Eagle in North Huntingdon, PA

I noticed that in Price Chopper, bread yeast and ginger root are refrigerated, and in Giant Eagle, they aren't. Ginger root is a dollar cheaper per pound in NY, too ($2.99/lb vs. $3.99/lb). The reason I noticed these is because I make my own ginger beer. I had this recipe. I made it that way, and I tasted more lemon than ginger. I only tasted ginger when biting the pulp. I made it again, but this time, I used a garlic press to press the ginger. Got tons and tons of ginger. It was good. But the pulp was still a bit of trouble. I don't have a strainer. So I made it again. This time, I just juiced the ginger with the garlic press. Put no pulp in. I got between 6-7 tablespoons of just ginger juice. It was the best ginger beer I've ever had. Johann and Ludwig loved it. I made two more batches which I think turned out to be poison. Don't use grapefruit in place of lemon. The little hunks of grapefruit in the beer float. I found out by playing with them that they pop. I wondered if they were flammable, so I tried lighting them on fire. They didn't ignite. These batches only had 1/4 c ginger juice (4 tablespoons), but you couldn't taste the ginger. You couldn't taste grapefruit either. It was the most carbonated drink I've ever drunk. It rattled my uvula when belching. I'm going to try lime.

Oh, and don't increase the amounts of sugar or yeast. My one bottle got stretch marks from that. The bottom of the bottle popped out, too. I had to refrigerate my grapefruit bottles a day early, too, because they started to get stretch marks. And they were the most carbonated!

No comments:

Post a Comment