Amazon Ad

Monday, November 01, 2010

No Wonder People Don't Eat Groceries in Manhattan

Last week I ventured to that other borough to find googly eyes. I did find reasonably priced googly eyes, but on the way I stopped by Gourmet Garage and was appalled by what I saw.

  • Limes for $0.49 EACH. Limes are on sale everywhere else these days. 8/$1 at C-Town, 10/$1 at Jesus, and 12/$1 at Western Beef. Do people even drink cocktails at home in Manhattan? Maybe they only go out to bars.
  • Eggplants were $4.99 and $5.99/lb. At Associated and Western Beef, eggplant is $0.99/lb.
  • Ginger was $3.99/lb. That's a Giant Eagle price, not a fair price. Later I was in Chinatown and saw it for $1.49/lb and $1.20/lb.
  • Barilla pasta was $1.99. Tonight at Key Food I paid $1 for a box of Barilla.
The only reasonable price I saw in the store was ricotta salata, which was only $4.99/lb. If I felt like waiting in line and carrying cheese around with me to find googly eyes, I would have bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment