Amazon Ad

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Stage Fright: I'm Nervous!

In this world, the only thing I'm good at is buying groceries. So why am I so nervous about going shopping for Midnight Thanksgiving? Let me try to count the things that worry me.
  • If I spend $25, I save $0.40/lb on a turkey. That's a lot per pound. But $25 is daunting.
  • If I spend that much, how will my frail little arms that haven't seen a gym or even a push-up in my whole life, carry a 15 lb bird and all the rest?
  • I can probably reach $25 if I remember to buy all the other stuff I'm bringing. But what are those things? I don't plan my grocery trips; I experience them.
  • I can buy 101 oz of pure olive oil for $8. Should I? That's a good deal. I want Lewis to have olive oil. Maybe he will buy it from me. Or I could have it to complement my extra virgin olive oil.
  • What if they don't have a turkey that is the size I want? It might be too big. Dylan's oven, like my very strength, is little.
 Let's see. Dolly Parton once sang about coffee as "a cup of ambition." I could certainly use that. And her friend Porter Wagoner "drank a fifth of courage" in a song in which he killed his wife's lover. I don't have my old tolerance, so I can probably do with a tenth of courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment