Amazon Ad

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Fun with Leftovers: Bean soup

I had some things sitting around that were probably going to go bad soon if they hadn't already. I had beans I had soaked and cooked, a hoagie roll from Saturday that was a bit stale, and some pork juice Lewis gave me when he used his pressure cooker to make a pork butt last Thursday. I thought that'd make a good soup if I could find some frozen mustard greens or something at Key Food. I ended up getting spinach because it was on sale and the bags of mustard greens were too big and I don't know what else I'd do with them.

$1 for that box. I just plopped it in the pot with the pork juice and added the previously cooked beans at the end to reheat them.



I'll put the picture of the pork juice behind the jump, lest you gag.



 There's a good bit in there. When it was warm and fresh and I was walking it home, I was sipping it as I went. As of today, it was 9 days old. I didn't really trust it to survive any longer.

 Stale bread. $0.33/roll at C-Town. (Note: C-Town sells it fresh! This sat on my table since Saturday. Unlike that Arnold bread I buy, it doesn't have the preservatives to keep it ok this long.)

 Voila!
And then I remembered I had a tiny bit of pecorino romano left, so I grated some on top.

I ate very well today.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:56 PM EDT

    One man's pork waste is another man's liquid pork gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I lived next to a factory farm!

    ReplyDelete