Amazon Ad

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Trader Joe's Dismay


After reading this article about Trader Joe's in the NY Times, I think I'm a little less excited to finally go in one. It might be quotes like these:
"In the case of the peanuts, 'I tasted that snack in a Thai airport, but it was stale and too salty and full of MSG,' Ms. Latta said."

"About 80 percent of the items carry the Trader Joe's label, many imported from small producers in Europe and Asia, and all free of artificial colors, preservatives, flavors and MSG."
Know what I like? MSG. Know what I dislike? Snootiness about msg. I dislike snootiness about msg more than I like msg. I went to a coffee tasting last night I my tolerance for food snobbery is at a low point. This store chops your vegetables for you. I adore Chopin my vegetables! Except onions, which I like to use frozen and pre-chopped.

Here is my Trader Joe's litmus test: instant coffee. If they have a delicious and new instant coffee for me, I will like them. If they sell reasonably priced exotic beans, I probably won't shop there very much. And in 9 days, I'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment