Amazon Ad

Friday, October 22, 2010

Key Food's Redeeming Qualities

Despite generally having higher prices than the other grocery stores in the neighborhood, Key Food is good for some things. It is the easiest place to take my plastic shopping bags to recycle. I usually bring my own bag since the day I realized that I was filling up my garbage can with plastic bags and taking one reusable bag saves me 4-8 plastic ones. But I still end up with some bags in my life and Key Food is the best place for that.

And among stores I can walk to, it has the best selection. Since its expansion by one aisle, it's the least cluttered. It never enforced a credit card minimum on me.

You can get an 8 oz block of Key Food brand pepper jack for $1.99. They want at least $2.19 at any other store unless you wait for a sale, but I eat hunks of cheese every time I don't know what else to eat, so I can't wait for a sale.

Finally, I can get Colavita crushed tomatoes for $1.50. I don't really even find Colavita at other stores, and I'm picky about my crushed tomatoes.

On to the shortcomings I found yesterday.




 You see that price? That's the same Tapatio that was on sale for $1.25 at Food Bazaar earlier this week. Key Food wants an arm and a leg for any hot sauce. As I've said before, you go to Associated for your hot sauces. Leave Key Food out of it.

At Food Bazaar, this bottle of Valentina was $1.19. You could get black label for $1.29. I can't think of a single reason to pay an extra $0.50 for this one. In fact, if you have 2 extra quarters you don't want, give them to me. For that price, I will go to another store and buy you a correctly priced bottle of Valentina.

 Here's some good news. I FINALLY learned where the phyllo is. Now I can make all those elaborate desserts and savory treats I read about in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.


No comments:

Post a Comment