Amazon Ad

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Excerpts from Emails and a Weekend Update

Today I wrote a lot of emails about prices. Here's a summary.

At Warehouse Liquors on Broadway and 8th St, you can get Seagram's Gin, which is the smooth gin in the bumpy bottle, for $19.99. That's for 1.75 liters. If you're paying $13 for a 750ml bottle, they must have seen you coming. You can get 2 750ml bottles of Evan Williams black label, which is the best whiskey there is, for $18.99. You can also get a 1.75l bottle for Boru vodka for $18.99.

Key Food has 1 lb of Sorrento mozzarella on sale for buy one get one free. Luckily, the jesus vegetable store has tomatoes that are $0.99 for on the vine and finally, $0.99 for roma. As always, you can get basil for $1 a bunch and there you have your caprese salad. Olive oil's on sale at Key Food, but nothing special. You should never pay more than $7.99 for a liter. You can often find it for $6.99. Extra virgin that is. There's no reason to get anything else.

Key Food had Oscar Mayer extra thick cut bacon on sale for $3.99 for a pound. I tried cooking some in the microwave and some in the oven to put in my dill chicken salad. Microwave wins. Use a bunch of paper towels and cook it until you want to eat it.

Organic bodega still has avocados for $1.49 each. I bought 6 really ripe ones and made my really good guacamole.

I finally was able to make mayo from scratch. The secret was I added another egg.

Here are things I made my the Memorial Day cook out Andrew and I had:
chicken salad with homemade dill mayo and bacon
caprese with fresh pesto
corn and black bean salsa
3-ingredient guacamole

There were at least 2 other parties on the roof yesterday, but we were regarded as having the best food.

No comments:

Post a Comment