Amazon Ad

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

C-Town Tweets to Me! My Christmas list for C-Town

Let me tell you, I hate a lot of brands and companies this week. Chase is canceling free checking. State Farm had an annoying bordering on rude insurance agent. Allstate had a really nice insurance agent, but quit working with me when I wouldn't sign something certifying that 2 or fewer people live in my apartment. (She suggested I amend it to "1," which was even further from 3.) AppleCare wanted me to submit proof of payment for the AppleCare I ordered directly from them with a credit card on a date I provided the date and exact amount for. And I applied for a job that was being handled by a third party and after they made me answer a bunch of personality questions, asked me to submit my credit score which they had helpfully linked me to get for free.  No.

Here are the companies on my good side:
  • J.C. Penney
  • C-Town
  • Delallo's 
  • Key Food
  • Amazon
I like C-Town and Delallo's the most because they talk to me on Twitter the most. I like C-Town the most of the most because they don't have ridiculous prices. (I'd like them even more if they carried some Delallo products though.)

That is all just the set up to addressing a very important tweet. Perhaps the most important tweet I've ever read.  "Let us know what else you would like & we will work on it!"

C-Town, here is my wish list.
Easy stuff:
  • There used to be marinated artichoke hearts for $1.29 that were kind of hidden about 1 step down the first aisle from the Goya ones. These were the best. Now there are $1.50 Cento ones and they taste funny and have hard bases. Bring back the cheap good ones.
  • Carry tomato juice in a can. I like to keep it on hand in my house for impromptu brunches. Key Food charges $2.19. Compare charges about $1.79. Associated charges $1.99 I think. V-8 doesn't count. They carry Sacramento, but I'd buy a cheaper brand since it's just a base for my bloody mary.
  • I never buy my cheese at C-Town (except for sliced cheese from the deli counter). Here's why. The pecorino romano, which is my main cheese (check the tags for this blog), is never in big hunks. It's in those cute vacuum packed seals from Bel Gioioso that cost too much. Key Food and Western Beef have nice attractive big chunks that somehow or other they can put on sale for $5/lb at times, but I will pay $10 in an emergency. The gorgonzola, when I can even find it, is always crumbled already. I like the chunk. I want chunky Italian cheese. I was glad to see ricotta salata added recently.
  • Add Delallo products. I saw some at the Met Food on Fulton Street and made Agnes buy them.
Harder Stuff:
  • I'd be elated to find Iron City, I.C. Light, or any beer from the Penn Brewery there. I meet lots of people from Pittsburgh around here.  I read that the assistant manager of Motorino is from Pittsburgh. The Penn Brewery has good beers. I'd buy them for special occasions.
  • There isn't the turnover to support a lot of your produce. In an emergency, I bought a green pepper twice, and regretted it both times. Onions are fine. Potatoes are fine. Much of the rest isn't. Know your strengths. Key Food has some sections with anchovies, capers, and lots of other jarred Italian products that 1) don't spoil 2) are good. That'd be a much better use of the space. Heck, put in more beer even.
Gripes
  • Dried beans cost twice as much as at Associated. So do eggs. If that's where the profit margin comes from, fine. But I know better now! 
At least C-Town doesn't ring up all my purchases at the wrong prices all the time like Key Food does.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the feedback!

    Pecorino & Locatelli Romano were recently moved to the left hand side of the Deli Counter, along with the Parmigiano-Reggiano & Auricchio Provolone. Before that they were behind the Deli. The guys behind the counter can freshly grate it for you as well.

    The rest of the stuff can be done & we'll let you know as it comes in.

    If you email us we can go into more detail over why there is a limited produce in our store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I see the romanos now. Apparently things behind the deli don't count to me because I don't want to talk. If there's a list of other things you have behind the deli, you should stick it on the website so I can peruse it at my leisure.

    I saw the chunk of Bel Gioioso gorgonzola too.

    I don't think I know your email address. I do think I know why there's limited produce--the store is small! I think you should have even less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The email address is ctown330graham@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine too. C-Town did all this stuff too.

    ReplyDelete