Amazon Ad

Monday, May 06, 2013

Reminder: Quit Buying Pasta Sauce

You're getting ripped off and it's worst for you and it tastes worse.  Buy crushed tomatoes (with 2 ingredients) instead. I like Colavita and Dei Fratelli, depending where I'm shopping.

1. Jarred sauce is a rip-off. Crushed tomatoes cost $1.67 or $1 for a 28 oz can. Pasta sauce costs $2 or $3. And for what? For the extra ingredients.

2. It's worse for you. My Colavita crushed tomatoes have about 6% of my daily sodium allowance per serving. A jar of pasta sauce has a lot more. Newman's Own Sockarooni has 19% of your sodium.  Cabernet Marinara has 25%. Roasted Tomato & Garlic has 21%. You can always add salt and salty grated cheese, but there's no way you're going to add this much!

3. Crushed tomatoes taste better. And you can doctor them up however you want. I know some people who doctor up jarred sauce. WHY?! You can doctor crushed tomatoes and not start from expensive sodium juice! Colavita crushed tomatoes are so good you can eat them plain. You can spread them on toast. I once made pizza and my pizza sauce was undoctored crushed tomatoes and everyone asked how I made the sauce taste so fresh.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:28 AM EDT

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like doctoring up my jarred sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so stupid! You could have just as much fun doctoring up crushed tomatoes and then you don't have to give yourself heart disease.

      Delete
    2. I thought you were referring to me above when you mentioned you know some people who doctor up the jarred sauce. I like to add pepper, garlic, onion, basil, italian seasoning (that's what it's called but I forget what it has in it, basil & garlic (it has other stuff in it too), chili powder, and hot sauce. I might put more. I forget.

      Delete
    3. I was referring to you. It's dumb.

      Also, as my friend Ravi learned within the last year, you're not supposed to add every spice. Just add more of a couple spices and then you can taste what they should really taste like.

      I'm making dandelion pumpkin pasta sauce now. That's a different topic.

      Delete
    4. well sometimes i'm lazy so i don't add it all. pepper and chili powder are the only 2 i add for sure.

      Delete
    5. You should make this sauce and resist the temptation to add anything. It's so good. http://www.thekitchn.com/marcella-hazans-amazing-4ingre-144538

      Delete
    6. But just used crushed tomatoes. It's easier.

      Delete
  3. I know that crushed tomatoes are better, but sometimes i am too lazy to clean a sauce pot/add ingredients to them. Also if you buy crushed tomatoes + fresh basil its more expensive than the jar. That is usually the reason I do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just dump the crushed tomatoes on your pasta. I do. Then stir it in. And it's not like you're getting fresh basil in your jar of sauce. Maybe if my basil plants grow, it won't even be an issue.

      Delete