Amazon Ad

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Grocery Shopping by Database

This woman who works for the NY Times created a database of her recipes and prepares shopping lists very specifically.
My database constructs my shopping list in three phases: First, I push a button that produces a checklist of recipes by name, along with other household items. I then select the recipes I intend to prepare in the coming week, as well as other things I need to buy. The tags make it easy to select a dish from each category.
When I’ve made my choices, I push a second button, and all of the items, including the recipe ingredients with their quantities, appear on one long list. If two recipes call for one onion each, my list will indicate that I need to buy two onions; it won’t list onion twice. I flag items that I already have and don’t need to buy.

She certainly takes grocery shopping seriously, but I think she's taking the joy out of it. Her husband says she has Just-In-Time inventory. I kinda do too--I go to grocery stores several times a week and buy what I want right before I use it.

Maybe if I were shopping for a family, I'd appreciate her approach more.

5 comments:

  1. Although she writes for the times maybe she doesn't live in the states?

    You seem to take a very urban approach to grocery shopping. Almost Parisian. I understand her method if you are driving a car to a store once or twice a week, but those of us in the city walk past a grocery store maybe 15 times a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh shit, I meant "maybe she doesn't live in a big city"

      Delete
  2. I like her idea. We type up our lists sometimes and it's all manual and I often wish I had a button to just add all the ingredients for something so I didn't have to think about it. Also Giant Eagle being 15 minutes away sucks. I need some bread but probably won't get any for days. The thing is I need that bread to go with the rest of my leftovers in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should move next door to a grocery store.

      Delete
    2. 19 days until we do. That was my main interest in apartments. Second was if our bed would fit in the bedroom. (5th or so down the list was if furniture would also fit in the bedroom with the bed)

      Delete