Amazon Ad

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Rabbit Cacciatore


For my birthday, my friends Bill and Gideon went to some place in Bushwick and picked out a rabbit for me by pointing at it and had it killed for me. Thankfully they answered yes when asked if they wanted to have the fur removed. I received this thing in a plastic bag.


The day after my birthday I already had plans. Same for New Year's. The next day, Ravi invited me over to eat lamb. I was starting to fret that this bunny would go bad. So I cooked it yesterday even though Bill couldn't make it. He can come eat leftovers if he's less tortoise and more hare about this whole thing.

First I studied this Saveur guide to butchering a rabbit. The main differences between their guide and my rabbit were that I still had a head on mine, I still had organs in mine, and they have sharp knives. They also give instructions like "then remove the bones from the leg." Easier said than done!

I decided to make rabbit cacciatore. I thought it was familiar, but later I realized it only sounded familiar because I used to watch so much Camp Candy. The other rabbit dish I could think of, hasenpfeffer, is thickened with the blood of the rabbit, according to wikipedia. I didn't need all that. Yes, I use wikipedia for recipes. It told me what goes in it so I do it. I decided to serve it over polenta with a salad and some bread. Into my cacciatore I put 2 red onions, 8 oz of quartered button mushrooms, a green pepper cut into chunks, a thinly sliced carrot, a can of whole canned tomatoes mashed up a bit, a few glugs of whatever wine we were drinking, as much turkey stock as was melted and pourable by the time I wanted to add turkey stock, garlic powder (I thought I had real garlic around but didn't), and herbes de provence that Callie gave me for Christmas. I should have added more salt. It tasted significantly better when I salted it and the rabbit didn't taste as much like chicken.


In the end, it looked like this. Not bad.

I know it's impolite to ask how much something cost, but I really was curious about how much a rabbit goes for so I could think about doing it again maybe. So I asked. Gideon told me about $30 for that rabbit. "I'm not worth $30!" I recoiled. But I liked the stewing aspect of the meal a lot so maybe I will stew some cheap meats. I will stew eggs. (Bill and Gid also got me eggs.)

I still have the bones and organs and the meat I couldn't get off the bones so I think I'll make stock tomorrow. I got Andrew a stock pot for Christmas and I guess I will be the one to break it in. I don't let things go to waste much. I'm also probably better at making stock than I was butchering an animal.

1 comment:

  1. When you said you had a festering bunny, I thought someone (probably Laura) found a stuffed rabbit on the street and put it in your fridge.

    This looks significantly more delicious.

    ReplyDelete