Amazon Ad

Saturday, November 11, 2006

In Praise of Key Food


This afternoon, frequent commenter Italian Grandma called me. She was planning to go to Whole Foods in Manhattan, but then she realized she didn't have to. I told her I needed to go to Key Food to get instant coffee, and she offered to come with me.

She was in awe. She didn't know grocery stores like this existed in Williamsburg. Her praise, coupled with my hunger, resulted in my deciding to buy food to make baked ziti with veal sauce. Giant containers of ricotta cheese were on sale for cheap, so I got one. Now I have leftover ricotta.

After Key Food, we went to the Jesus vegetable store, where Italian Grandma was taken aback by the cheap vegetables.

Then we went our separate ways. But I see Key Food through new eyes now.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:22 PM EST

    i am now a key foods frequenter. another discovery yesterday furthered my conclusion that there's never any need to leave the 'burg: bedford cheese shop. the cheeses, meats and general anglophilia were really something to contend with. while prices are decidedly more expensive than east village cheese, it's later hours (i was there sometime past 8 pm) and location (on bedford and something like north 5th) makes it a real willyburg treat.

    ReplyDelete